Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Anthony Robbins’ 6 Steps to Emotional Mastery

Anthony Robbins with his wife at CNN Larry King Live.
Anthony Robbins with his wife at CNN
by Kritika Seksaria, 21st Century News: http://www.21stcenturynews.com.au/anthony-robbins-6-steps-emotional-mastery/

Word famous success coach, Tony Robbins has been an inspiration to many who have managed to turn their lives around and achieve the kind of satisfaction they have always aspired for.

Robbins has over the years elucidated many strategies to success including intelligent thinking, positive thinking and taking action amongst many others.

However, in my experience, the strategy that stands out the most is emotional mastery.

Having control over your emotional-self is one of the primary factors to success, especially owing to the fact that success is not just what we have; it is predicated also on how we feel about it.

The first step to success is identifying that you are currently dissatisfied with life.

Tony Robbins’ life revolution also happened with that realisation. He tells Success.com: “I took advantage of my intense pain, and I turned it into the fuel for action. When you’re living in a 400-square-foot bachelor apartment, cooking on a hotplate above your trash can and washing your dishes in the bathtub, you have to start looking at yourself".

“On top of that I was 30 pounds overweight, had a job that was going nowhere, and I was in relationships I hated. What changed me? I had a series of experiences with frustration at myself, and moved into unbelievable humiliation”.

He goes on to say:

“I began to realize that who I was as a man - how I was living mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially - was far less of a man than who I really was inside. When I hit that threshold of pain, I didn’t know at the time what I was doing, but I decided at the very minimum I was going to go on a run”.

Ultimately, it was the motivation derived from this pain that drove Tony Robbins’ to the great heights of success and fulfilment he has achieved.

Today I share with you an invaluable section from Tony Robbins’ book published in 1992 - Unleash the Giant Within. Even now, the contents of this book are very relevant and an inspiration to readers every day.

Six Steps to Emotional Mastery

Identify what you’re really feeling

The first step in dealing with emotions and the distress it is causing you is recognizing what you are feeling. Is it unhappiness? Dissatisfaction? Anger? Fear? None of the other steps will have any significance, if you are not honest with yourself and avoid facing the emotion you are experiencing.

Acknowledge and appreciate your emotions, knowing they support you

Realising the emotion is best followed by acknowledging it and accepting what you have been feeling. Acknowledging the emotion is not bad thing, nor is having that emotion as it is going to act as the catalyst to change. Be grateful, because these emotions are sending you a message.

Get curious about the message this emotion is offering you

Question your emotions in order to identify why you are feeling a certain way. It will not only help you solve the challenge, it will also assist you in dealing with the re-occurrence of this emotion in the future.

Ask yourself:
What do I really want to feel?
What would I have to believe in order to feel the way I’ve been feeling?
What am I willing to do to create a solution and handle this right now?
What can I learn from this?

Get confident

Confidence will help you deal with the emotions instantly. Try and recall a time when you felt this way in the past? How did you deal with it? If could handle it before, you can handle it again and you will be able to handle it in the future as well.

Get certain you can handle this not only today, but in the future as well

It is important to believe that once you have handled this emotion, you will be able to deal with it in the future too. You already have the plan; just remember the steps you took to overcome the feelings and you can do the same again. 

Repeatedly dealing with this emotional intensity will create a neutral pathway of certainty for the future, helping you deal with these challenges.

Get excited and take action

 The final step is obvious - get excited and take action. Ask yourself, what is it that you can do in order to change your feelings? What measures do you need to take, which will impact the way you are feeling? Experience the emotion to its fullest and prove to yourself that you can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment