Monday, February 20, 2012

Make A Commitment

Lance Armstrong finishing 3rd in S├Ęte, taking ...Lance Armstrong: True Commitment - Image via WikipediaBy Frank J Jennings

There are so many things I want to do with my life. I want to be a great dad. I want to be a good husband. I want to be amazing at my job. However, with my long list of wants I have come to find out that wanting something desperately is not enough to make it come to pass.

If all I did was sit around and make a list of all the things I want, I bet my house would be full with useless pieces of paper. Wanting is not the same as progressing and in order to progress you need to have an idea of what you want. You can't have one without the other.

I truly believe that in order to go from wanting to having, from dreaming to accomplishing, from potential to promise, there is a very important piece of the formula that we cannot afford to overlook. You can't make a cake without flour. You can't play basketball without a ball. You can't achieve your dreams without making a commitment.

Make A Commitment

Imagine you are one of my good friends and I come up to you and say, "I want to be a good father." Now imagine if I came up to you and said, "I am committed to being a good father." Which one has more power to you?

My want is a matter of intent. I want to be a good father so I may or may not do what is necessary to make my want come to pass. I might read a book on parenting. I could take a class. I should learn about my son and what he likes to do. However, there is no absolute clarity. Why? Because, intention is not action and without action there is no progress.

On the other hand my commitment displays my passion. By me making a commitment, I am demonstrating that I will do whatever it takes to make my goal become a reality. My commitment forces me to take action. I can't be committed to something and sit around not doing anything to change my situation. I will read a book. I definitely am taking a class. I desperately will do everything in my power to spend the necessary time with my son.

Why Make A Commitment?

Often I have heard many of the people, who mean the most to me, complain about their circumstances. They wish they had a better job. They wish they had more money. They wish they would have taken better care of their bodies and overall health. It seems like every time we get the chance to talk, they tell me more and more about what they want. In fact, their wants take up 90% of our conversations.

A want doesn't bring about change. A want isn't enough to force action and bring forth life changing inspiration. A want is a waste of time without a commitment. If life is beating you up down and all around, don't just stand there and take the punches. I dare you to make a commitment to fight back.

With every commitment you make the sun will start to seem a little brighter. With every commitment you make the impossible will start to seem possible. With every commitment the hopeless will become hopeful. With every commitment your dream draws closer. With every commitment doubt starts to fade. With every commitment the world around you starts to change.

Making a commitment helps you fight through the adversity of life and transitions you from wanting to having. I've made a commitment to inspire the world.

What are you committed to?

Frank Jennings is the founder of A Spark Starts where he writes life changing inspiring stories to help others reach their full potential. This site is full of compelling stories based on specific situations that we face in our lives. Read about overcoming adversity, parenting, relationships, health, endurance and many other relevant and timely topics.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Frank_J_Jennings
http://EzineArticles.com/?Make-A-Commitment&id=6879600
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment