Image via WikipediaBy Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD
Is there a definition of wellness? The word wellness is in the news, social media, blogs, books on billboards, and in conversations. Many people reference a 'state of well-being,' which is vague to say the least.
The vague definition of well-being and wellness implies 'a state of acceptance or satisfaction with one's condition or conditioning - i.e. What one accepts, tolerates, ignores, pretends, copes or struggles with.
Wellness has become the latest buzz word with little understanding of what wellness is or how to create it.
Interestingly, the Federal Drug Administration, American Medical Association or American Pharmaceutical Association has failed to set-forth a definition of wellness. There is, however, a set of criteria and characteristics that is an accurate definition of people, who live their life unencumbered by sickness, disease, dysfunctions, chaos, distress, malaise, drama, or trauma.
Wellness is a natural state of being not an option to be decided by someone or a choice to be made only after the mind, body, spirit is in extreme decay. Wellness is your birth right; life purpose and a way of life. You were designed to be healthy.
Every aspect of human existence - mind, body and spirit has a significant role in keeping your human existence healthy - provided the system has adequate emotional, physical and spiritual sustenance.
Wellness is a multidimensional state of being describing the existence of positive health as exemplified by quality of life and a sense of wholeness. Wellness is the active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward an empowered and successful life. Dimensions of wellness includes: Emotional; Environmental; Financial; Intellectual; Mental; Occupational; Social; Spiritual; and Physical.
The concise definition of wellness is:
- Knowing my needs and working to achieve them.
- Expressing and communicating feelings; including what I am experiencing.
- Acting assertively - devoid of passivity and aggression.
- Adhering to a healthy food plan (nutrition) for my blood type - avoid junk food, GMO, pharmaceuticals and medical pills, potions and having body parts cut out.
- Attending to my physical health daily - natural foods, avoid processed food, natural remedies - discovering the root cause and eliminating it; rather than treating symptoms.
- Maintaining body weight within BMI for my height and body frame.
- Engaging in adequate exercise and creating physical stamina.
- Engage in meaningful activities and projects that reflect my most important values.
- Loving myself unconditionally first and foremost.
- Loving others unconditionally.
- Creating and cultivating close relationships with family and friends.
- Responding to challenges in life as opportunities to grow emotionally and spiritually - rather than seeing only problems and travail.
- Creating my ideal life rather than reacting to 'what happens - i.e. avoid believing 'shit happens.'
- Seeing everything as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Trusting myself as my personal resource and my greatest strength for living and growing.
- Experiencing myself and others moment to moment - avoid worrying ahead or lamenting the past.
Wellness is the state of being fully alive with a sense of attainment; responding appropriately instead of reacting to life and circumstances. Wellness is the act of remaining calm and focused while working things out with unconditional love.
Ultimately your personal character; personal strength and courage will evolve. To attain wellness requires you to make healthy choices in nutrition, social contact, work, exercise, leisure and relationships. I wish you well on your journey.
Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD, Metaphysician - Certified Hypnosis Practitioner, Author and Speaker. Dr. Dorothy facilitates clearing blocks, fears and limiting beliefs. You can live the life you desire. She brings awareness to concepts not typically obvious to one's thoughts and feelings. http://www.drdorothy.net
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dorothy_M._Neddermeyer,_PhD